FrançaisAnglais

Mossant's Hat Industry

Find a Practitioner

Tel. 04 75 70 30 00

Mossant’s Hat Industry was the most prestigious company in Bourg de Péage at the time.

Founded in 1833 by Casimir Mossant, the factory settled in Avenue de Barbières in 1860. The company expanded thanks to the development of railway trains which enabled supply from distant places and dispatching to remote areas.

In the 1880s, Casimir Mossant entrusted his company to his two sons, Charles and Casimir.

In 1908, when Charles Mossant died, Antoine Vallon, his son-in-law, took the company over with his two nephews, André and Henry Argod.

In the 1920s, the Mossant Company reached its peak. The factory hired 1,200 workers and made up to 2,000 hats per day, half of which were sent to the USA.

In 1929, a fire destroyed some part of the factory which was rebuilt with concrete in an Art Deco style. At the top of the turret, two bas-reliefs represented rabbits and beavers, the hairs of which were used as raw material for the manufacture of Mossant’s hats.

After 1929, the economic crisis affected exportations and the company varied its production by making felt bags, felt berets, etc.

The manufacture of hats gradually decreased. In the 1950s, the factory became a clothing industry. In 1985, the company was finally liquidated.

In 2008, the factory in Avenue du Général de Gaulle was turned into a shopping centre.

haut de page Top of page